Where to look for leftover coins?
You might know how much change you have in your pocket, wallet or purse, but have you any idea how many coins are stashed around your house? If you’ve been in your current home for several years, you may be sitting on a small goldmine – quite literally, if the average amount of cash that finds its way down the back of peoples’ sofas is anything to go by.
Top-5 places to find coins around the house
- Your sofa: let’s start with the obvious one; every time you sit down, the loose change in your pocket spies an opportunity to escape. This is especially true for the habitual trouser-wearer. Take the cushions off your sofa and chairs and have a good root around the cracks. You may encounter a plethora of crumbs and wrappers, but chances are your efforts will also uncover some forgotten cash. According to a survey by the Halifax, Britons leave a collective £40million down their sofas!
- Your car: just as coins liberate themselves from your pocket when you sit on your sofa, so do they when you take a seat in the car. Pull your car seats as far forward or back as they will go, lift up your mats, and see what you can find! If there are any coins eluding your grasp, try using a coathanger to tease them out.
- Your pockets and bags: never underestimate the elusiveness of the coin and its ability to escape your grasp. Whether you keep you cash in your pocket or in a bag, there’s a good chance there are some escapees lurking in the depths!
- Old purses and wallets: are you a serial purse/wallet changer? If so, you might have left some cash in old accessories that have fallen out of favour. Why not dig them out and see what you find? This is especially true when you’ve taken a different purse on holiday – it could be full of old Euros or Francs.
- Junk drawers: every house has at least one drawer where homeless items end up – be they pens, takeaway menus, cocktail sticks or coins. This is especially true when said drawer is in the vicinity of a washing machine, as all those coins emptied out of pockets pre-wash invariably need to go somewhere. Giving your junk drawer a good clear out may turn up a small fortune, and is very cathartic!
Convert your leftover foreign coins to spendable cash
So why not give it a go? You may be surprised what you unearth! And if you happen to find some obsolete or foreign coins or banknotes you no longer have any use for, why not use our free leftover currency exchange service to convert it into cash you can actually spend? Just click here to get started!